• FLAVOR- when grown locally the crops are picked at their peak ripeness which translates into flavor filled food versus being harvested early in order to be shipped and distributed to retail stores.
• SEASONALITY- although we all love to have strawberries in the middle of winter you can taste the difference when biting into some purchased locally in May and June- that is significant! We have no choice but what we can all strive to do is explore what other options might be available- expand your tastes- be adventurous and try incorporating something new on your plate.
• NUTRIENTS- shorter time between harvest and your table equals greater nutrient value.
• NO FARMER NO FOOD- by supporting your local farmers and growers you are investing in your community, helping to maintain farmland and protecting open or green space.
• SAFER FOOD SUPPLY- the more steps between you and your food’s source the more chances for contamination.
• TRANSPARENCY- you can ask the farmer about their practices- how they harvest, how they handle pest issues and anything else you are wondering about. There is something to be said about knowing the person who grows the food you feed your family.
Highlights from the Michigan State University Extension on the benefits of buying locally grown food
Everyday we make choices for our family, some days better than others. Two River Dairy hopes to obtain local products whenever possible. We will hand select high quality, wholesome products that utilize organic practices so that you can feel good about what you are feeding your family and friends. Two River Dairy wants to be a distributer that knows its growers and whenever possible be able to say we shook the hand of the farmer or baker who is producing the products we are offering. So get on board and watch as we see how food can help build community!
Whether you are looking simply for the convenience of doorstep delivery or making a conscious resolution to eat cleaner Two River Dairy is your one stop shop. If there is something you want; ask! Something you love? Let us know! Our goal is to make it easy to eat local, seasonal food everyday. Lets all keep trying new foods and supporting our local farmers. See you all at the Farmer’s Market!